I don’t know about you, but today for me was a full day. You know the ones, where you get pivots and unexpected shifts which can be challenging to navigate. I came home to find that all my peoples had similar days. There were tears, disappointments, boundary-drawing (no, you cannot play Xbox when you are turning in late homework. Ever.) and a general feeling of stretched thin.
We’re all taking breathers, so I’m feeling contemplative. In no particular order, here are the things I’m telling myself right now. Call them mantras, truths, self-placations, what you will.
- I do not know everything. Lawd, no. While I may have held that opinion in my early twenties (Thank you to all my sisters who let me live through THAT particular phase) I am very very clear on the fact that I do not hold the answers to all things. Benefits of life experience and all that.
- You don’t know everything either. Despite what you may think. Bless your heart.
- I trust the process. Everything has a process, and I’ve seen my gut instinct proven right on more than one occasion via process. So it’s okay, because if it needs to come out, the process will out.
- Authentic no means authentic yes.
- Everyone is trying to do the best that they can, sometimes with broken tools.
- Find the humor. For the love of Pete, find the FRICKIN’ HUMOR. It’s always there somewhere. As a friend of mine likes to say, “If it’ll be funny someday, then it’s funny today.”
- Remember to take care of yourself like a houseplant: water, air, sunlight, nourishment.
- I am uniquely and divinely made for an awe-inspiring purpose.
- So are you.
- We belong to each other.
- We can do hard things. (Thanks, G)
So there you have it. Now I’m gonna go hold my people. Hug the neck of someone you love.